20 years ago, on Labor Day Weekend, Pierre Omidyar began what eventually evolved into what we know as ebay today. Yes, that’s right, one of the earliest Silicon Valley e-commerce success stories, now turns to its third decade of business operation.
Some stats to blow your mind:
- It’s estimated around 800 million items are being offered for sale on any given day.
- iPhone/Android apps have been downloaded 279 million times
- Ebay Motors has sold enough cars to encircle the moon more than 4 times
- The number of paintings ebay has sold could fill the Louvre over 45 times
- Originally called “AuctionWeb”, changed to eBay 2 years later
- The eBay name comes from Omidyar’s consultancy firm Echo Bay Technology Group. he settled on ebay.com because he discovered that his desired domain echobay.com was taken by a gold mining company. #TheStruggleIsReal
- One of the 1st items sold was a broken laser pointer for $14.83